Vas Stickley Home Vastine Stickley came to Texas after the end of the Civil War and worked as a cowboy for J.C. Loving in Jack County, Texas. He helped drive the first cattle to the T-Anchor Ranch in 1881. He returned to the Panhandle in 1887 and helped establish Hemphill County and the city of Canadian and he was a deputy under the county’s first sheriff, Tom McGee.
The Stickley's Home built 1911 at 7th & Santa Fe, Canadian TX This home with the cement hitching posts is one of the most beautiful early homes built in Canadian.Vas and Dick Bussell, an early buffalo hunter, operated a wagon yard in Canadian from 1887 to 1893. After marrying Susan Burnett, a sister to Mrs. Cap (Sallie) Arrington, he purchased ten sections of land along the Canadian River. This ranch was sold in 1911 and the Stickley’s built a home at Seventh and Santa Fe. This home with the cement hitching posts is one of the most beautiful early ones built and is shown here to the right.
Mr. Stickley was instrumental in bringing his nephews, Charlie and Harry to Canadian where they also settled. Disliking the idle life, Mr. Stickley purchased four sections of land from Cap Arrington and stocked it with cattle, owning it until 1923 when he sold it to T.D. Hobart.