W J Todd Sr. RanchWJ Todd Sr. established the Todd Ranch in northwest Hemphill County in 1895 and spent several years in building it to its current size of 17,500 acres. WJ Todd Sr. owned and managed the ranch until his death in 1921.
W. J. Todd bought this Main St. house in 1894 Shown from left to right are children Mary, Laura, and William Jr., and parents Laura and Jep ToddThen his only son, WJ Todd Jr. (Jep) assumed management of the ranch. In 1937, Jep joined in operation of the ranch with his nephew, Dale Nix who was orphaned at the age of 10 and was adopted by "Uncle Jep" and "Aunt Estelle" who never had children of their own. Jep died in 1942, leaving the ranching operation to Dale.
After 1946, Nix Cattle Company had leased the acreage owned by the Todd heirs and continued operating the ranch as a unit, as it remains of Todd ownership.
William Dale Nix Sr. Owned and operated Nix Ranch and Nix Cattle Company for more than 60 years.In 1996 Dale and Bill Nix reorganized the operation, partly for estate planning purposes and partly to involve Bill more actively in the family business. Ownership of all Nix-owned land was transferred to a limited partnership, Nix Ranch, Ltd. Dale died in 2000 leaving Bill to run the operation with John Wheeler as Ranch Manager.
In 2003, Mary Alice, son Bill, and wife Puddin Nix accepted the recognition for Todd Ranch, now doing business as Nix Ranch, Ltd. Bill Nix and John Wheeler earned certification for the ranch as a "Texas Quality Beef Producer".